The Melvin L. Joseph Construction Company, Inc.

The Melvin L. Joseph Construction Company, Inc. began in 1940 with one man (with a sixth grade education), one dump truck, and one shovel. Melvin L. Joseph was that man and developed his dream into a Sussex County business conglomerate. Despite its growth along the East Coast, this company has maintained its "family owned and operated" tradition since the beginning. The longtime commitment of its founder and employees to its clients and community is unsurpassed in the industry.

Melvin was an esteemed contractor and developer whose major projects include paving the majority of the roads in Sussex County, the Summit Airport expansion and supervising many projects locally and abroad. After the storm of 1962, under contract for the Army Corps of Engineers, he led the reconstruction of the Delaware Beaches. He also developed many renowned projects including Woodlawn Memorial Cemetery and Lake View Estates.

The Melvin L. Joseph Construction Company, Inc., provides services such as site work, land clearing, equipment rental, utilities and fill dirt and aggregate. The Melvin L. Joseph Sand and Gravel Co., founded in 1990, is the primary supplier of sand and gavel lo Delmarva's concrete and asphalt industry.

Besides his love for construction and development, Melvin L. Joseph enjoyed auto racing, treasure hunting and aviation in his free time. He was a pioneer in the growth of NASCAR. His love for racing hit a major high note when he designed and constructed Dover lnternational Speedway (formally Dover Downs International Speedway). He also gave the "Gentleman, start your engines" command at every NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Race in Dover since 1969.

He signed his first big state road contract in 1949. That same year, he became a partner in the Georgetown Ford Dealership. From that year forward, Melvin deemed his lucky number 49. His license number, license plates, airplanes, horses and race cars have all included the number 49.

The Melvin L. Joseph Construction Company, Inc. has been serving Delmarva since 1940 and is the primary supplier of sand and gravel to Delmarva's Housing, Construction, and Major Industries.